Buying a new apartment is indeed an overwhelming experience. But one of the biggest misconceptions new homebuyers make is believing that everything in their house will work flawlessly because it’s brand new. The next step is to setup your home, which includes moving or purchasing all the necessary essentials.
While you might be looking for a gorgeous kitchen and a huge bathroom in your new apartment, here is a list of ten must-haves that you should look beyond the space and galore before moving into your dream home:
- Internet connection: Nowadays, having the Internet connection is a necessity. You may contact the local Internet Service Provider (ISP) and have the connection set up once you move in.
- Home insurance: Home insurance provides financial protection against any kind of damages to your house. It covers your home in cases of a flood or fire. Besides, an insurance plan ensures that you are covered for all the losses incurred due to a theft. To protect your new house from such financial risks, it is advisable to avail of a house insurance policy.
- Energy connection: When you shift to a new apartment, it becomes necessary to establish a power connection on your name. So get in touch with the local energy company, and provide the necessary details, like your name, contact details, the preferred date of connection, and required documents.
- Spare keys: The first few days after moving into a new house are quite stressful, and there may be instances where you lose your keys or get locked outside. Therefore, make a set of spare keys and give it to a family member or a friend living close by.
- Checklist for the entrance area: For the entrance area, you may buy a welcome mat to place just outside the door. You may also purchase a compact shoe rack for added convenience. You may also place a lamp to light up the entrance area.
- Living room essentials: Some of the necessary items for the living room include a television, a couch and pillows, a coffee table, bookshelves, and curtains, besides other items.
- Kitchen items: Once you have had the house professionally cleaned, it’s time to set up the kitchen. Carry all the utensils and the appliances from your old home or purchase the necessary items, such as refrigerator, oven, plates and bowls, dish drying rack, and other kitchen essentials.
- Toiletries: Discard partially used toiletries and purchase new ones for your new apartment. Ensure you have all the necessary toiletries, such as soap, toothbrush and toothpaste, shampoo, towels, and deodorant, besides many others.
- Bedroom essentials: Keep your bedroom clean and organized. Arrange the bed, pillows, mattresses, sheets and comforters neatly. You may also purchase a nightstand, dresser, hangers, alarm clock, or a desk if required.
- Miscellaneous Items: Having a first aid kit is absolutely necessary. Be equipped with Band-Aids, thermometer, antiseptics, wipes or tweezers. You may also purchase a tool set, which includes a hammer, screwdriver, nails, and hooks, besides other things.
With so many essentials required for your new apartment, you may overlook quite a few things. With the aforementioned checklist, you may rest assured that the transition to your new home will be a smooth process.